Monday, April 23, 2012

Name That Dish

So...

I was only home from a weekend of camping for a few hours, and already the natives were restless. "What's for supper!?!" This time the native's included a certain young lady's boyfriend. Into the kitchen I go. What will I feed my poor, helpless, little chicks? Hot dogs with mac & cheese? No. Joseph would love it, but no. Should I cook some chicken and have salads? No. Too healthy! Then it hit me. I should introduce Justin (that's the boyfriend) to Jimmy's Test Kitchen. You see, anyone who stays in my house long enough (and he has) get's to become a participant in my test kitchen...whether they want to or not. So, let the testing begin.

Of course, the first step when creating a dish in Jimmy's is to figure out what you have available. The wife says we have to do something with the pack of smoked sausages in the fridge. That certainly made meat selection easy. Then I looked to my left and spotted a bag of potatoes. Things are looking up. Of course I can't just simply do skillet fried potatoes and smoked sausage. That would be too common. Jimmy's Test Kitchen does not do "common". Anyway, I sliced the smoked sausage (ten sausages, if you must know), put a little olive oil in the skillet, pulled out the can of Tony Chachere's, and sprinkled it all over. A few minutes later, I had these tasty little morsels.


Next, I took eight potatoes and diced them. I followed this by mincing two cloves of fresh garlic. I tossed half a stick of butter in the oil and yumminess left over in the skillet from sauteing the sausages, and then tossed in the garlic. After sauteing a bit, I added the potatoes, lightly sprinkled with kosher salt, then heavily coated with Tony C's.


I let that cook for about 15 minutes on med-high, turning occasionally. This got the potatoes just to the point they were starting to soften. Then I tossed in a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of drained black beans, one and a half cans of water, and two tablespoons of ham base. I put the lid on the skillet, and allowed to cook for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Once the dish was finished cooking, I stirred in half a cup of sour cream, and topped with one cups of shredded cheese (I used a fiesta blend, but any good melting cheese would work). Shazam! Dinner is served.


I am happy to report that minutes later, all but a cup of the molten lava pictured above had disappeared. The problem is that here I am, a day later, and I still don't know what to call it. Perhaps some of my readers can help. Come on, folks. Name that dish!

1 comment:

  1. I am so not creative when coming up with names for food. Cheesy Sausage Potato Skillet. But that makes it sound like a hamburger helper thing. Hmmmm..... whatever the name, it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete