Friday, August 24, 2012

What do you get when you cross a proper Brit with a Rajun Cajun?

You get Yorkshire Jambalaya Pie.



Now, let me explain. I was visiting one of my favorite websites the other day: www.irishamericanmom.com. This website has some of the best Irish recipes. I found one that I was wanting to give a try. Yorkshire Pudding. At the same time, I have had a craving for some of the foods that are considered more cool weather comfort foods, such as chili and chicken pot pie. The recipe for the yokshire pudding called for it to be made in muffin tins. However, it mentioned that it was originally baked in a single dish. The picture associated with this recipe showed some super fluffy, muffin type morsels. I thought to myself, this looks like it would make a good light and fluffy top to a chicken pot pie.

So...the plans were to make a Yorkshire Pot Pie. When I am making a new creation, I sometimes go on a tangent that takes me down a completely different path. I pulled some chicken breasts out of the freezer, and saw a smoked sausage. I thought to myself, "That sausage looks like it would be really tastey, cubbed up and placed in my pot pie. I got some flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and mixed it all up. I then poured my flour mixture in a gallon freezer bag, and tossed cubed chicken breast in it. While doing this, I thought about the veggies that would go in my pot pie. I had all sorts of dried veggies, and I started thinking that I would like to use those in my pie, instead of just opening a can or two of veg-all. While I was frying my chicken and sausage in one pan. I was boiling dried carrots, green and red peppers, onions, and diced tomatoes in another pan with some of my home made turkey stock.

Once the meat was thoroughly cooked through, I poured in the reconstituted veggies and stock. I then added milk, and a couple heaping tablespoons of Greek yogurt. I also added some Tony Cachere's creole seasoning, garlic powder, and just a little salt and pepper. Once thickened, I poured into my lasagna pan and covered with the yorkshire pudding batter. It baked at 425 for thirty minutes, then got brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, and tossed under the broiler until golden brown. The result came out looking pretty spectacular.



This was no ordinary chicken pot pie. It definitely had a Louisiana flavor to it. Thus the Yorkshire Jambalaya Pie was born. The way that pan was left without a scrap in sight, I have a funny feeling this pie is going to reborn multiple times. Who knew a Brit and a Cajun could make such a beautiful child?  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Love this recipe - what a creative way to use Yorkshire pudding batter. It's a bit like a popover topping. You can't beat great fusion food - the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete