Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings! Thank the Lord it's Fall!

 I absolutely love the fall. I think some of the best foods that scream comfort are introduced in the fall. One of those foods is chicken and dumplings. If there is any food that demands that you hold it in a big bowl while sitting in front of a crackling fireplace, it is chicken and dumplings. I have super fond memories of one particular chicken and dumpling recipe. There was a lady at our church in Ellendale, TN, named Inez Mayo. Each Wednesday we would have a potluck meal and prayer service at church. I absolutely loved her chicken and dumplings. It had huge pieces of shredded (not cut!) chicken, and these velvety smooth dumplings. Fortunately for me, her husband, Mr. Fred, loved my mother's spaghetti. Of course, I became the beneficiary of Mr. Fred's passion. My mom would make him spaghetti, and in return, Mrs. Mayo would make me chicken and dumplings. I don't really know if that is how it went, but that's what I remember, and I'm sticking to it.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a recipe for chicken and dumplings like Mrs. Mayo's. I have found many good ones, but none that evoked the same memories. Well...yesterday I got a hankering for some chicken and dumplings. But, how could I get a good recipe that would knock my socks off? when in doubt head on over to the Food Network website. With a little effort, I found a recipe from Emeril Lagasse. There was also one by Paula Deen. It had four stars. But! Emeril got five stars. Now, if his recipe can get more stars than one from the queen of southern comfort food, it had to be good! I was not disappointed. Oh my stars! Mrs. Mayo, I do humbly apologize, but you are now in second place! (When I get to heaven she is going to be waiting for me, and there is certainly going to be H-E-double-hockey-sticks to pay.) The link to the recipe is below. I think the secret to such luscious goodness is frying the chicken first, instead of just boiling it. This certainly brings out all of the hidden goodness that is in the chicken. The only changes I made were out of convenience. I had two bags of mirepoix (celery, onions, and carrots) that I used instead of cutting up veggies like he did. I also did not have any bay leaves or thyme. I used Italian herbs and celery leaf for the seasoning. I also forgot the peas at the end. Still! This chicken and dumplings will be made again...and again...and again. I also guarantee there will be a fire in the fireplace. Now, where is that number for the chimney sweep? I feel a hankering for some more chicken and dumplings coming on already.

Chicken and Dumplings on the Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment