Saturday, October 22, 2011

Welcome to The Great Food Junkie!

I'd like to start off by saying that I am not a junkie in the worst sense of the word. That is certainly not the case. I am not hopelessly addicted to food (well...maybe pizza). Another definition for junkie is an enthusiastic follower or devotee. Doesn't that sound much better? I can certainly think of myself as an enthusiastic devotee of food. I love to eat food. My family will attest to how much I love to cook food (sometimes to their great delight, other times, well...we won't go there). Some of my favorite reading involves cookbooks. But, it's not just food itself. It's everything that comes with food. Food is the one thing that brings people together, no matter where they live or what their culture. In all cultures there seems to be no greater force for bringing friends and enemies alike together than food.

So, join me as I journey through the fascinating world of food. This blog will, hopefully, take us on a wild ride full of food thoughts, recipes, pictures, and who knows what else. I hope you will have as much fun reading this blog as I intend to have writing it.

Okay! Okay! Enough of this philosophical blather! Do you know how hard it is to come up with a catchy title and URL in the blog world today? The real reason behind the title of this blog is because that was the word combination I finally came up with that nobody else had. There! Satisfied!?!

Speaking of recipes, here is a very simple one. My son, Joseph, and I absolutely crave garlic (more on that later). My Aunt and Uncle, up in Trout Run, PA, seem to be even more passionate about this member of the amaryllis family. They grow bunches of garlic in their garden every year. Fortunately, Joseph and I are the lucky recipients of some of that bounty. Yesterday, we planted some garlic and had about three cloves left over. Needless to say, we were really hungry, and wanted to use that garlic. I decided to make some grilled cheese sandwiches, but I just couldn't do them the way they are always done. I took about two tablespoons of mayonnaise, one tablespoon of Greek yoghurt, the three cloves of garlic, a pinch of salt, and fresh ground black pepper. I mixed all the ingredients together into a spread that I placed on both pieces of bread before building the sandwiches. Wow! Those grilled cheese sandwiches went from yummy to scrumptious with that little addition. Try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment